In this second segment of our episode of Innovations in Patient Care with Dr. Fred Chapman, PhD., I had the honor to sit down with Fred and talk further about the ins and outs of therapeutic electrical shocks for cardiac care. Fred is the Director of Research for Physio-Control, Inc. and has an extensive background in Biomedical and Electrical Engineering.
I asked Fred to help me dig in to the mysteries of what really happens when we press the “Shock Button” and deliver a charge to a patient.
- What do the ECC shock charge numbers really mean?
- What’s the difference between bi-phasic and mono-phasic shocks?
- Why do some patients respond to shocks and others don’t?
- What is on the horizon for patient care technology and cardiac care?
- Can the AED shock the rescuer?